The Authored Ascension

Basketball Season Kicking Off

Elise Juneau, Co-Editor

It is that time of year and basketball season has begun! The basketball program has been steadily growing and thriving, thanks to strong coaching. Both teams have been growing each year, gaining more people and improving on their weaknesses. 

Boys basketball is led by the three senior captains, Eli Mouton, Jack Leoni and Patrick Werner. Though they lost two seniors from last year, Zack Ronquillo and Ronald Leblanc, the team still has 15 players, most of them returning. So far, they have a record of 4 wins and 3 losses. The boys team has a good chance of finishing with a winning record. Their best game has been the winning game against one of our district rivals, Catholic High. It was good for them to start the season off with a strong win. There are many games coming up that the team has a good chance of winning. Eli Mouton, a captain and senior on the team, says, “I’m most excited about the VC game this year because they have always been our biggest rival and I would love to beat them for my last time getting to play them.” Their next home game is January 5thxds, and they would love to see more students in the stands!

With an astonishing 29 girls on the team this season, girls basketball is growing. They have played 9 games with 2 wins and 7 losses, but are excited to have a successful district season. Their best game so far was the game against Grand Isle on November 30th. It was a battle in the beginning of the game, but then the girls pulled through with a good lead. After losing last year’s captain Sarah Beadle, this year’s captains Abbie Boland and Sydney Smith have done an amazing job leading the team, along with seniors Grace Hill, Lauren Seago, and Christianna Lemoine. When asking Sydney Smith what she is most excited about this year, she said, “I’m most excited about hanging out and getting closer to all the girls on the team as well as being very successful in district and hopefully making it pretty far in playoffs!” The girls’ next home game is December 12th, and they truly appreciate having fans cheering them on!

Make sure to come out and support your team on game day! Both boys and girls teams have had a great start to their season and should have a great rest of the season!